We have bung to work on a full prototype of our costume. I have bought 12 wigs, most which are excellent under UV, a couple that are duds.
We also went to Gordon Harris to look for metal tubing that we can use for the structure of the outfit. I found sticks of hollow aluminium that was flexible yet expensive. We bought 6 rods and tested it out by making the neck hoop. The rods turned out to be a terrible option, as the easily broke. It also brought up the issue of how we mould attach each rod together to make the structure.
Kylie set upon making a small prototype out of plastic rods on my wooden figure.
Meanwhile, I began to roughly attach the wigs together to get and idea if how it will work under the UV:
I then put the plastic on top to check the effect:
What I discovered is that the plastic layer need to be a distance from the hair suit to create the desired effect of multiplicity. If the plastic is too close to the hair, it renders the unique feature of the plastic useless.
I also feel we need to add more texture to the hair to make it more dramatic. I noticed that the curls that hung low looked particularly lovely;
I don’t feel that we have the right concept for the structure yet. It is something that I am going to focus on over the next week.